Monday, March 7, 2011

i've got something on my mind.....

Well, one of these days I'm going to get around to writing a full-blown update on what has been happening in my life recently. But, until then, here are a couple of things on my mind.


Recently, I decided to stay in Poland for another year; i.e. 3 years in all. When I originally contemplated the question last fall, I decided that I wouldn't stay longer than my originally agreed-upon 2 years. However, over the following months, the thought of staying in Poland with AIM just wouldn't leave. I guess it was really a God thing:) So, last month, I told the AIM board that I will stay in Poland for a third year; that's 1 ½ years yet.


I'm excited to think of staying on here longer. In some ways, my first 10 or 12 months here were spent just learning how to live in Poland. That was a good time, and an incredibly stretching time. I don't discount that experience by any means, but I think it would have seemed a bit abrupt to return to the States at the end of this summer, as I had originally planned. So I'm happy to think about living here even longer and deepening friendships, learning the language better, and discovering what kind of crazy things God wants to teach me in Poland.


Some upcoming things for the year:

Gideon is getting married in July. He and Esther will live here for at least one year after that. I think that is way cool, although unless something changes, it also means I will be the only single VS guy here.

John Smucker's family is planning to return to the States at the end of the year. John's have been here ten years, and as the mission has grown and changed, their roles have grown, too. They play a huge part in the work here, especially as one of the two American families in our small group. Seeing them go and welcoming another family in their place will be a significant change.

And, I AM planning to go back to the States for a two month furlough. I'll be home from June 24 to August 23, Lord willing. I am very happy about that:) I'm looking forward to learning to know my family and my friends again, including two nieces whom I've never met. I'm very grateful for skype, email, and cheap phone rates, but they don't totally cut it. Summer, here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment