Monday, January 31, 2011

Music, Friends, and Food

I think one of the most pleasant ways to spend time with friends is to make music together. Whether it's singing or playing instruments, a jam session or focused practice, music brings people together and creates meaningful connections. Second to making music together is experiencing it with friends. The other evening was one of those times. I went with a group of my friends to a concert at the National Philharmonic in Warsaw. It had been so long since I had been at a concert like that. Definitely soul food:) The programme consisted of works by Tansman, Tchaikovsky, Bacewicz, and Stravinsky. It was glorious. I especially liked the Tchaikovsky; Violin concerto in D-minor, op. 35. Music is meant to be listened to live; besides the sound quality, there's something powerful about watching people create music. I think there's a deep truth about music and community in there somewhere; if only I was smart enough to dig it out.......


Afterwards we went to a Turkish restaurant. Our fearless leader (and pastor), Lavern, had coupons for 50% off. Being good Mennonites, (Mennonite Vsers, to boot. Double whammy) we rejoiced and proceeded to eat awesome Turkish food at half price.


My friends LeRoy and Ania were with us, as well. They got married two weeks ago in Poland, and they're still in the country, so they were able to join us for the concert and for supper. It was so good to chat with them over food again. Something powerful happens in situations like that. When friends come together and share words honestly and with love (especially when food is involved:), our souls are fed. The God who lives in us also works through us to touch each other in seemingly small, but significant ways.



1 comment:

  1. Ok...you have officially made me feel concert and coffee shop sick,...and sheesh, what have my friends been up to anyway? I could really use some Tchaikovsky right now!

    I've had my nose to grindstone for the last month...I'm not looking in the mirror because I'm not sure if I even have a nose anymore.

    Thanks for stirring up my nostalgia, and reminding me that I shouldn't keep living the way I am....

    ReplyDelete